Monday, January 21, 2013

Preparation for Death - St. Alphonsus de Liguori

"Preparation for Death" by St. Alphonsus De Liguori

"The Lord called the virgins foolish who wished to prepare
their lamps when the bridegroom was nigh. All have a
horror of a sudden death, because there is no time to
settle the accounts of conscience. All confess that the
Saints have been truly wise, because they prepared for
death during life. And what are we doing? Shall we
expose ourselves to the danger of preparing for death
when it arrives? We ought to do at present what we shall
then wish to have done. Oh ! what pain will then arise
from the remembrance of time lost, and still more from
the remembrance of time spent in sin : time given by God
to merit eternal life ; but now past, and never to return!
What anguish will the sinner feel when he shall be told :
You can be steward no longer! (Luke, xvi, 2). There is no
more time for doing penance, for frequenting the
sacraments, for hearing sermons, for visiting Jesus Christ
in the Holy Sacrament, or for prayer. What is done is
done. To make a good confession, to remove several
grievous scruples, and thus tranquillize the conscience,
would require a better state of mind and time more free
from confusion and agitation. But time will be no more.
(Apoc. X, 6).

Oh, my God! had I died on one of the nights known to
Thee, where should I be at present ? I thank Thee
for having waited for me; I thank Thee for all those
moments which I should have spent in hell from the first
moment that I offended Thee. Ah! give me light, and make
me sensible of the great evil I have done Thee in
voluntarily losing Thy grace, which Thou didst merit for me
by the sacrifice of Thy life on the cross. Ah ! my Jesus,
pardon me : I am sorry from the bottom of my heart, and
above all things, for having despised Thee, who art
infinite goodness. Ah! assist me, O my Saviour! that I may
never lose Thee again. Alas, my Lord! if I return again to
sin, after so many lights and graces which Thou hast
bestowed upon me, I should deserve a hell to be made on
purpose for myself. Through the merits of that blood
which Thou hast shed for my sake, do not permit me ever
more to offend Thee. Give me holy perseverance, give me
Thy love. I love Thee, and I will never cease to love Thee
till death. My God, have mercy on me for the love of Jesus
Christ. O Mary, my hope! do thou too have pity on me;
recommend me to God: thy recommendations are never
rejected by that God who loves thee so tenderly."

No comments:

Post a Comment