Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Imitation of Christ (Thomas à Kempis) - A Prayer to Cleanse the Heart and Obtain Heavenly Wisdom

Confirm me, O God, by the grace of Thy Holy Spirit.

Give me power to be strengthened in the inward man and to cat out of my heart all unprofitable care and trouble; let me knot be drawn away with various desires of anything whatsoever, whether it be of little or great value; but teach me to look upon all things as passing away and myself as passing along with them.

For nothing is lasting under the sun where all is vanity and affliction of spirit (Eccles. 2:11). Oh, how wise is he who considers things in this manner!


Give me, O Lord, heavenly wisdom that I may learn above all things to seek Thee and to find Thee (Wis. 9:10); above all things to relish Thee, and to love Thee, and to understand all other things as they are, according to the order of Thy wisdom.

Grant that I may prudently avoid him that flatters me and patiently bear with him that contradicts me.
For it is great wisdom not to be moved with every wind of words, nor to give ear to the wicked, flattering siren; for thus shall we go on securely in the way we have begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment